Monday, December 20, 2010

#6: Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by U2 (1987)

Written in 1963 by Phil Spector (yeah crazy hair guy), Jeff Barry, and Ellie Greenwich.

The song was originally recorded by Darlene Love in 1963 for the Christmas compilation album, A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector (what a nice guy that Phil Spector is).

Darlene Love actually sang back up in U2's 1987 version which, itself, appears on the widely successful Christmas album A Very Special Christmas. This is the second time Bono lends his voice to my list, the first being on the Band Aid song Do They Know it's Christmas?.

I wondered if I should place this song as high as I did, but ultimately this is a wonderful song that is so great that it can be enjoyed anytime of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Rated too high... I don't think so. This one is top tier. Another good pick.

    ReplyDelete